Rocks

Rocks

Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Lord Is My Shepard

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." (Psalm 23:1-3, NIV)



I love to look up Bible verses in different translations (or paraphrases) because each one offers a little something extra to think about.

Take this passage, for example:

(The Message) God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
you find me quiet pools to drink from.
True to your word, you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

(Amplified Bible) The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack. He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters. He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.

(New Living Translation) The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.

Each one adds a little something different to this familiar scripture. We all know that David was a Shepard boy who was later promoted to king. It was during his years caring for his flock that he developed his intimate relationship with God. David found his Good Shepard to be his All Sufficient One. Years later, One came who said, "I am the good shepherd and know my sheep, and am known of mine." (John 10:14)


Our Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, has a personal interest in each one of us. We can have implicit trust in Him, for He does not overlook even one need. How comforting to know that we have a shepherd who knows us by name and gave his very life to redeem us. Today I will rest in his loving care.

No comments:

Post a Comment