Rocks

Rocks

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Taking Jesus At His Word



I just read an amazing story of faith in John 4:46-53:

And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum. When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death.
”The royal official said, “Sir, come down before my child dies.”
“Go,” Jesus replied, “your son will live.”
The man took Jesus at his word and departed. While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living. When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, “Yesterday, at one in the afternoon, the fever left him.”
Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and his whole household believed.

The verse that jumps out at me is "the man took Jesus at his word" (then he left and headed for home). This man's son was close to death! He had just begged Jesus to bring healing. Can't you just hear the urgency? "Please, Jesus, come with me! He's so sick. I'm so afraid. If only you would touch him, he would be healed..."
But Jesus didn't have to go to the man's house to heal the boy. He spoke it. "Your son will live," Jesus assured. And that was that. Right at that moment, the man's son was indeed healed.

The question is, do I take Jesus at his word? Do I trust that what he says is really true? And more importantly, do I act on it?

"Lord, I believe, help me with my doubts!" (Mark 9:24, The Message) These words were spoken by a man so much like me. He was the man who brought his mute son overcome by a demon that caused seizures. Jesus said, "Bring the boy here." They brought him. When the demon saw Jesus, it threw the boy into a seizure; he writhed on the ground and foamed at the mouth. Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has this been going on?"
"Ever since he was a little boy. Many times it pitches him into fire or the river to do away with him. If you can do anything, do it. Have a heart and help us!"
Jesus said,"If? There are no 'ifs' among believers. Anything can happen."
No sooner were the words out of his mouth than the father cried, "Then I believe. Help me with my doubts!"
With that, Jesus spoke a word and healed the boy (Mark 9:17-27).

Lord, forgive me for my doubts. Help me to completely trust you. Today I will take you at your word. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment